Online, in another state, far, far away, I saw this listing for a house for sale. It is the perfect example of how not to sell your house! If you don’t want to sell fast or for more, follow this advice!
- Make sure every room is so cluttered with objects and décor that buyers are totally distracted with your stuff and can’t see past it to the house!
2. Make sure it does not appeal to the greatest number of buyers by making the colors and décor so personal that it only appeals to people with taste just like you.
3. Overwhelm buyers with colors and patterns.
4. Put too much furniture in every room so the house feels small, regardless of how big it is.
5, Add as many personal photos as possible so buyers are distracted by who lives in the house now rather than envisioning it as their house.
6. Keep the decor dark and heavy, rather than light and airy, clean and modern.
7. Increase your price to 60 times more than the estimated value of similar homes.
While “Zestimates” are often wrong and can be off quite a bit, they are usually not off by 29 million dollars!
Price / Tax History
|05/16/18||Listed for sale||$30,000,000||$937|
|11/17/17||Listing removed||$1,995/mo||$0.00||Zillow Rental …|
|10/18/17||Price change||$1,995/mo-20.0%||$0.00||Zillow Rental …|
|09/13/17||Price change||$2,495/mo-10.9%||$0.00||Zillow Rental …|
|08/14/17||Listed for rent||$2,800/mo||$0.00||Zillow Rental …|
For more information on why your house may not sell, see my recent article “Why Your House Won’t Sell”.
To have a quick and profitable sale, make sure your house is easy for buyers to fall in love with and visualize themselves living there. To make that happen, make sure it is clean, move in ready, well maintained, light, airy, modern, decluttered, inviting and warm yet not too personal, priced right, and marketed well. Don’t forget curb appeal. Grab buyer’s attention with great photos and a reasonable price, get them to the front door with great curb appeal, and get them to fall in love with it once they are inside.
A professional home stager can help you make it all happen and increase your sales price with professional staging.
Get Your House Staged by a Pro Today
All home staging starts with a consultation. From there, you can take the information and stage it yourself, work with the stager to get it done or have the stager do everything for you. Every home (especially the one in this article) can benefit from a home staging consultation!